A national juried exhibit where I-90 meets I-82
Call Type: Exhibition
Entry Fee: $35 flat fee for up to 3 artworks
Event Dates: February 24—March 15, 2015
Entry Deadline: December 15, 2014
The Sarah Spurgeon Gallery at Central Washington University, located in Ellensburg, Washington, will host the inaugural INTERSTATE juried exhibit. All proceeds from this national, bi-annual exhibition will support student scholarships in the CWU Department of Art.
The Sarah Spurgeon Gallery, founded in 1969, is dedicated to contemporary art exhibits and related outreach programs that enhance, engage, and challenge the viewer’s knowledge and understanding of art. The Gallery also presents artists and viewers alike with opportunities to explore culturally diverse ideas in an academic environment.
Juror: Michael Rooks, Wieland Family Curator of Modern and Contemporary Art, High Museum of Art, Atlanta, Georgia
Michael Rooks joined the High Museum of Art in January 2010. Also in 2010, Rooks was appointed Commissioner and co-curator of the U.S. Pavilion at the 12th International Architecture Exhibition, La Biennale di Venezia. Prior to joining the High Museum, Mr. Rooks held curator positions at the Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago, The Contemporary Museum Honolulu, and the Honolulu Academy of Arts.
The juror will select all of the awards:
- First Place: $500 and a solo exhibition during the 2015/2016 or 2016/2017 academic year
- Second Place: $300
- hird Place: $200
- Sarah Spurgeon Gallery Honorable Mentions (3)
Entry Procedure and Fees:
Entries must be submitted on or before December 15, 2014
- All entries must be submitted online at www.callforentry.org
- There is a $35 flat fee to enter up to three artworks.
- All fees are non-refundable and payable by credit card or check through www.callforentry.org
- One image or video file may be submitted per artwork.
- Upload requirements for files must follow all CaFÉ parameters.
- Open to artists over the age of 18 working in all 2-dimensional, 3-dimensional, and video formats. (Installation is not eligible for this exhibition.)
- Works created/completed as a student are not eligible.
- Only original works, where the artist is the sole copyright holder, will be accepted.
- Substitutions of specific works selected during the jurying process will not be allowed.
All work must be ready to display with clear installation instructions:
- Framed 2-dimensional pieces must include a wire that supports the weight of the work.
- Plexiglas only, no glass frames will be accepted.
- Unframed works on paper may be hung using clips or magnets provided by the artist.
- 3-dimensional work that is intended to be hung on the wall must include a secure hanging device.
Works cannot exceed 4 ft. in any direction or weigh more than 70 lbs.
Results of the jurying will be sent by email on or before January 12, 2015.
All accepted work must arrive by February 13, 2015.
- Accepted artists will receive a loan agreement contract form and instructions for shipping or hand delivery.
- Shipping costs and insurance are the responsibility of the artist. The Gallery requests that artists use UPS or FedEx for shipping.
- Shipping materials must be reusable and a pre-paid return-shipping label is mandatory.
- All accepted work must remain at the gallery for the duration of the exhibit.
Insurance coverage will be provided while works are on the premises of the Sarah Spurgeon Gallery. The Gallery cannot assume responsibility for any loss or damage to works in transit. The Gallery reserves the right to reproduce accepted artwork for publicity and educational purposes connected with the exhibition.
The Sarah Spurgeon Gallery does not charge commission or process sales. Any inquiries about sales will be courteously referred to the artist or the artist’s representative.
The CWU Sarah Spurgeon Gallery will host an opening reception on February 24, 2015, from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m. All artists are welcome to attend.
Heather Horn Johnson
Manager, Sarah Spurgeon Gallery
Department of Art
Central Washington University
400 East University Way
Ellensburg, WA 98926-7564
CaFÉ.org technical questions: 888.562.7232